Monday, May 4, 2009

Picture perfect

They say a picture is worth one thousand words. I wonder what picture they were looking at when they said that. Was it a picture of a man whose home is a box next to a dumpster in an old, dirty alley in the city? Perhaps it was a picture of a young girl with a decision to make, save a life or turn her back on it. Or maybe even a picture of a child whose parents were never coming home because of their lack of wanting a child. Why one thousand words? What would those words say? Would they be able to tell the story of how the man lost everything because of his love of an addiction more than his love of family or a job? What would they tell me of the girl who was more scared to lose her life at school than to dedicate it to an innocent? Can they tell me what a child would do to survive in this world knowing they were not wanted, always being afraid they are not wanted by anyone? If they took my picture, which picture would it be and what would it say? Would it be the picture of me sitting alone in my room with a sketch book as my closest friend? The picture of me standing on the edge fighting to find a reason not to jump? Or the picture of me screaming silently, a hollow sound in a hollow world. What would those one thousand words say about me? Do I have a choice in what they say? What would I want them to say? Would I lie and tell a story everyone wants to hear even if I must lose myself to gain their audience, or would I tell the true story that no one cares to hear even if I must spend forever alone just to be true to myself? What would I do? What would any of us do?

10 comments:

Pragmatic Spector said...

It's you who decides at what angle, what background, and what time the picture will be taken. Many say every living being is a slave to fate/destiny/time. However, one must note that it is not history which changes us, but it is we who change history in many ways. The same can go for your life. You have to take holds. You think historians provide the complete truth of historical events that is in an unbiased perspective? of course not. They have their own changes or twists to it, incidental or not. You can decide what the picture will say. It's only a weakness of the human mind to feel that your picture seems hopeless and you cannot change it. A thousand words can describe a picture but a picture can also be changed by a thousand ways or even words.

SquirrelQueen said...

No matter what, never lose yourself.
Drifter, I come here to read your words on a regular basis but at the end of a story I am usually at a loss for words.
SQ

SquirrelQueen said...

In a very good way.
SQ

- Domingo said...

I love to read your thoughts and poems. I've nominated your blog for the Golden Heart Award. Swing by my blog and see.

myra said...

I Think some times there are no words to exsplain this world we live in today even the photos don't all ways tell the truth the best we can do is try to make each day a little better for at least on person who may need something weather it be a smile, a wave, or even a hug.I think you are doing that with this blog you make me think of what have even if it's not much there is all ways someone with less I do not mean money and things like that. So keep up the blog I enjoy it very much Thank You

Ziggy Stardust said...

I believe in God and I believe in love.

- Jan - said...

It really makes you think, doesn't it? Are we being truthful to ourselves or just being what everyone else expects of us? Well anyhow, your post made me really think about who I really am. Thanks. And I'm following you from now on ...

- Jan - said...

Do you know that you've been tagged? Please visit my blogspot to see how this tagging game is played :)
Thanks.

PrayerMetro said...

Sorry for not commenting much lately. Been on the run. This is beautiful. I've left you a picture at prayermetro.blogspot.com . It takes about 2 hours to see the whole picture. Lots of my friends are in it. I'd love to hear your thoughts. You have precious thoughts and a great way to express them.

PrayerMetro said...

When I was in Mexico City two years ago with my daughters, I asked them to create a prayer cloth that was hand sized. Many traditions have scarves or shawls or stoles. I wanted something small and simple to remind people I am praying for them and to remind them to pray. I'd like to send you one. They are beautiful. These two and their mother created a beautiful hand woven tasseled "hand shawl". I'd like to send one to you. Shoot me a p.o. box or something.