Monday, April 27, 2009

Past

I was sitting in my closet today and I was thinking about the past. All the things I used to do and all the things I thought were my life. I began to think of how differently I viewed things back then, how closed my mind was. I also thought about the friends I used to have. I remember the days of blood sisters, promises to be friends forever, and thinking that we all would stay together forever, no matter what. I think of now, and all the friends that I lost through time. What happened to those promises? What happened to blood sister oaths? What happened to the thoughts of staying together forever? All the friends I had back then are gone now, moved on or moved away. Despite intentions and efforts to stay in contact, we drifted away from each other. I passed a friend in the hallway a few days ago, and we barley even acknowledged each other. I have lost so much in the past years. As we grew up we grew to old for friendships of those days. When did that happen? I wonder what has happened to each of them, where have their lives taken them? What paths have they chosen? Do they think of me? Do they wonder these same things about me? Do they miss the days of friendship as I do? I watched a movie titled 'Stand by Me' yesterday and at the very end of the movie the main character posed a statement to this affect: I have never had friends like the ones I had when I was young. Does anyone? Those are not the exact words, I changed it a little for my own purpose, but the same point is there. What happened to the times of past and Are they gone forever?

3 comments:

Nita said...

I liked this post. It really made me think. Honestly, it's kind of sad but I've never really asked myself any of those questions about a friend. I've never had those amazing friends that people talk about, who are always there for them and who they couldn't live without.

Sandi K said...

Some things in the past are best left there. When you try to dig old things back up again, sometimes they just crumble; you might find the memories were better as they were. Then again, sometimes you might just find that something old is worth polishing up and making new again. The trick is in deciding which is which.

I like your blog, you write very well. Keep it up!

Pragmatic Spector said...

innocence is a hard and more appealing shell of a human being. Once broken, you can see it for what it is: ugly or beautiful, your take. Those same friends after coming out of their smell, may have grown to be different than any of you expected. Psychology once expressed the need for any type of relationship as an analogy of a bunch of mice huddling together for warmth, once warm, they discard them.