Thursday, November 12, 2009

Marked Down

I was wandering through the store today and I saw a sign over a few items on a shelf that said 'Marked Down Price'. I began to think on that. I wondered to myself why those things had been marked. They had been deemed unfit to be placed among other items just like them. They had been 'Marked' because they were damaged or out of style. Perhaps they were not up to the standards of consumers on weight, appearance, usefulness. They were not to be mistaken for things that were wanted. They were marked to show the world they were not as good as others. They were not worth as much as they had once been. By no fault of their own they been seen as less worthy. I began to compare this to humans. How many times do people mark someone for not being up to par? They judge on outer surfaces instead of taking a chance on that person. Just because they are different, does that mean they are to be given a 'Marked Down Price'? Do they lose worth because they do not fit the mold? In my experience, the things in this world and in this life that seem different, that seem damaged or under consumer standards, have worked just as well as those that were cherished by everyone. My experience with people has been no different. Should any one's?

1 comment:

facade said...

Astute observation. First impressions sadly are difficult for most people to see beyond. I know my discernment is acute, able to "see" the person within after a short interaction.

Likely from my upbringing by my grandparents n the very different culture of the early 70s...I learned to SEE beyond my eyes view. For this southern boy (im older but ever a boy n zest n thrill of life) the only ones i judge harshly are abusers n users. In this cookie cutter society, where mediocrity is the usual, I thrive engaging genuine people who express themselves honestly.

It is ever a risk making ourselves vulnerable to another...but if we don't we miss the wonder of heartspeak n soulstirring.

How we dress, groom or any other external choice doesnt define us. It is to me a simple reality...each of is is either a taker or a giver. Rare for 2 givers to meet...if ever you meet n spark with such a soul...DOOOO let patient exploration begin.

I'm loving your sharings. KEEP GOING! hugs, ken